Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: ant888
New Today: 3
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 29286

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Hash calculation between image and original file
 Final Year Project
 Android devices with PIN screen lock and without USBdebb. on
 Can file creation and modifications on pendrives be found?
 Viewing real MAC times of a timestomped file

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - Sim card reader.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sim card reader.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Technical Issues: Peripherals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Sim card reader. Reply with quote

I was looking up some sim card readers for cell phone and have a few questions.

what is the best sim card reader and cheapest. I was looking at Paradens 27 dollar sim card reader and the sim card reader software about the same price.

what is the limitations of this software.

I understand the basics of sim cards however you might laugh at me on this one. What should I expect to see when looking at a sim card with a reader. Am going to find only current numbers and text messages or will all or some data be on the sim to read from day one till today.
Complete

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eureka - as phones become more and more complex, they continually look at other storage areas other than the SIM. SIMs can only store a very small amount of info, but you will always find network info there. It may also have some of the phonebook and a few text messages, but don't count on it. Paraben bought and resells SIMCon, so you may want to Google for more info on that. I've used SIMCon and it works well.

On the plus side, SIM analysis goes very fast so you'll find some quick info on the phone.
eureka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Will SIM's be replaced? Reply with quote

Thanks fo the information.

What about the technology changing? Will SIM cards be replaced?

Eureka
Complete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIM cards may be updated, but probably won't go away as they're used on GSM networks. I think you can certainly justify $130 with the big bosses for the program.... OR, spend more cash, get some good training, and get the program "for free" from the class: mobileforensicsinc.com. This is taught by a current LEO and you'll get a great overview of how phones work and what tools to use.
eureka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: great information. Reply with quote

Thanks for the great information. I will use it to our advantage.

aloha

eureka Very Happy
HiFromWales

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Sim cards hold only a small percentage of obtainable data of the phone. I bought a sim card reader for 99 ($170?). It's good, but found only a small amount of the data I wanted to find.

To buy a full blown mobile phone reader kit in the UK costs upwards of 15,000 with an annual registration fee for updates of 10,000. As a new mobile comes out, so you need to buy a new connecting data cable, another 10+.

I've seen one working and it's a great piece of kit but unless you really want to do mobile phone forensics in a big way its far too expensive a toy just to play with.
eureka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Any more sugesstions? Reply with quote

I think to start off with I am looking for somthing that will show what numbers the person has called and who has called he or she. if SMS data can be found as well that is great to. Even somthing that can find earased data. That would be evan better!

The inspection ( that I will conduct) will not last long and I would say that the search would be equal to what we call in the states "knock and talks". Simply put, I need somthing that reads number and I can print and save the data.

60k for goodies is out of reach but some of your suggestions has been great. In reality I am not an investigator anyway when it comes to the chain of custody. Any more suggestions?

You guys/gals are great. Very Happy

Aloha

Eureka
Complete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, Cellebrite UFED is going to give you the quickest and easiest results without going to a lot of classes and investing in a bunch of other solutions. A complete toolkit would be nice, but if you can only afford one thing, Cellebrite might be it.

Should probably try checking out one of the dedicated mobile phone forensic sites for more informed opinions. Hit this site for links to others and some good articles.
http ://www.e-evidence.info/cellarticles.html
Thunderstrom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Dont get the one at radioshack Reply with quote

Radio shack has one, but it is awful, Evil or Very Mad it only reads the card sometimes and is not compatible with programs for recovering data. Which ever program you want to utilize for data recovery usually has a sim card reader for sale with the program. Get that one, in the long run you will save money. Shop around because different programs do different things. Paraben's stuff is always a good choice, and plus you can usually use it first on a trial basis to determine it's functionality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Technical Issues: Peripherals All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: