Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: Sergioramos
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 29353

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

A question for students and newbies
 E-DISCOVERY & DATA RECOVERY? WHICH ONE IS BETTER?
 Computer Forensic in e-commerce
 Computer Forensic as component in Information Security
 Small Business - Do You Prepared?

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - Hard drive corrupt/inaccessible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard drive corrupt/inaccessible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Technical Issues: Peripherals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laura25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Hard drive corrupt/inaccessible Reply with quote

Hi ya,
I've come across a case where a pcs hard drive is corrupted and inaccessible - cant access the OS which is Win xp professional in ANY way to backup files.

Does anyone have any idea how you would go about this to backup these critical files/image them?
Could you use a Knoppix bootable disk and try and access windows files this way to backup windows files?
How could I copy these files onto my laptop? Is there any kind of cable that connects to pc and laptop? So if Pc data needs to be backed up, it can be copied onto laptop?

Thanks in advance Smile
ctrose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try fdisk /mbr with a WinXP boot disk (cd or floppy).
That may allow you to boot it and then copy the files you need to an external drive.
You could also reinstall Windows XP. It will only overwrite the base install, it won't overwrite any third party software.
You should then be able to copy the files you need.
gralfus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had good luck recovering "dead" drives with SpinRite from grc.com. As long as the drive will spin up, I've been able to recover the drive.

Yes, a Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD could also probably access the disk, if it isn't too far gone. You could transfer files via CAT5 cables and a switch if both have NICs.
RobertR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take the drive out and put in an enclosure and see if you can access it as a secondary disk..... If that doesn't work you can try access with knoppix or....but if yo can access it as a secondary the MFT is probably messed up..... you can try to recover the partition with Gpart or a similar tool....... shor if that doesn't work you can make a profile for the headers and footers for your file type and try carving them out with scalpel.
cfprof

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctrose wrote:
You could also reinstall Windows XP. It will only overwrite the base install, it won't overwrite any third party software.
You should then be able to copy the files you need.

But won't the new installation of XP have a nearly empty MFT? In other words, its MFT won't contain the files from the original disk.
Rpent001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had an issue with a drive where none of the files were accessible. I took the drive out of the machine and put it in an external USB enclosure and used MaxBlast 4 to do a Drive-to-Drive copy onto a new hard disk. Evey file was recovered and I just reformatted the old drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Technical Issues: Peripherals All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: