Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: cradom
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 29283

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Final Year Project
 Android devices with PIN screen lock and without USBdebb. on
 Can file creation and modifications on pendrives be found?
 Viewing real MAC times of a timestomped file
 software that can view files in Volume Slack

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - External Hard Drive Not spinning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External Hard Drive Not spinning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Technical Issues: Peripherals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krj118

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: External Hard Drive Not spinning Reply with quote

Hello. I have an external hard drive with music files on it. (All my Cd's on back-up since I move a lot.) The hard drive suddenly stopped spinning. To avoid having to re-make all my Cd's into MP3's again, is there anything I can do to get it running? Any help is great! Thnkx.
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a silly question, but does it power up? What makes you think it is not spinning? Could it be an issue where the system is not recognizing the drive and thus no reason for it to spin?
ilikemycomputer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you test the power cord to check for a current (ohms meter)? Also, did you try a different outlet?
krj118

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Didn't try the Ohms meter. Reply with quote

I will look into it more carefully this evening and post what it is doing exactly. Sorry - I should have done that before I posted. Duh! Embarassed
Complete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might also try putting the drive into a different enclosure or connecting it directly to your computer.
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete wrote:
Might also try putting the drive into a different enclosure or connecting it directly to your computer.
Speaking of that; years ago all the computer manufacturers went to tool free cases, apparently the external drive manufacturers missed out on that trend. Some of these external enclosures are a real PITA to open.
RobertR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what everyone else has mentioned here.... the vast majority of reported external drive failure I have been exposed to are really just power supplies that has gone the way of the dinosaurs.....

Break out that Volt Ohm meter and test that sucka.
nomarjrb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case there is an issue with your hard drive - try SpinRite. This is a data recovery and drive maintenance product. I have not personally used it but I know a handful of techs that do use it and swear by it.
krj118

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: More Info... Reply with quote

Okay, so it is getting power, but the drive itself just sits there like a bump on a log. No whirring noise that used to accompany it when it was operational. I will try some of the recommendations and see what happens. Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted.
krj118

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Looking at replacing the enclosure Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good how-to article/book etc for me to do this? At this point, I dont know much of what I am doing, but since it's basically a paper weight, I'm looking to use this as a learning tool. Any assistance greatly appreciated!! Thanks for all the input. BTW, it is no longer powering up. And did I mention that it was purchased overseas different voltage for the unit? Thanks!
chuck378

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try myharddrivedieddotcom. It's a web site by Scott Moulton. He is very good in recovering data from hard drives that are dead. You should also search for his name on Youyube. He has several presentations. I have really learned a lot from him about the inner workings of hard drives. Hope it helps.
krj118

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: hard drive saga continues Reply with quote

Thaks for that website. I will be sure to have a look at it. I ordered a new enclosure for it yesterday. I'll keep you all posted! Cross your fingers for me. There's a ton of backups and music files on it. I'd hate to see it all gone. Geez, what do you do when your back-ups need to be backed up?
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: hard drive saga continues Reply with quote

krj118 wrote:
Geez, what do you do when your back-ups need to be backed up?
Use something more reliable? Wink

Have you looked into an IDE to USB adapter rather than another case?
krj118

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: IDE to USB adapter? Reply with quote

No , I didn't even know that such a thing
(adapter) existed. I am new to the whole hardware side of things. I am now thinking from reading here of going through A+ certification. You can never know too much, ya know? and actually, the external HDD was doing pretty well for the last..... five or so years for regular household backups. But given this situation, does anyone, (or you) have any other recommendation? I have a lot of music files, tons of pictures of the tricycle motors and our two house ponies (big dogs), but other than that, nothing really huge that needs to be backed up. Thanks!
ilikemycomputer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do a search on Newegg (d0t) com (or whatever you prefer) for hard drive enclosures...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Technical Issues: Peripherals All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: