Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: ant888
New Today: 3
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 29286

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Hash calculation between image and original file
 Final Year Project
 Android devices with PIN screen lock and without USBdebb. on
 Can file creation and modifications on pendrives be found?
 Viewing real MAC times of a timestomped file

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - GPS forensics
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS forensics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Technical Issues: Peripherals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sw8pea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: GPS forensics Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything about GPS forensics? I heard that some of them have sata drives and you can image them but what would be the results? Does it come out directly as the map or would you just get the coordinates? Let me know if anybody has experience with it....and any other good information to know about them. I'm getting ready to start a case dealing with a few gps's. Thanks
ebl31

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: GPS Forensics Reply with quote

The manufacture and model you are working with dictate how much information you can retrieve. Some models can not be imaged but there are other tools available to extract the information.

A good source of information is www.gpsforensics.org. They just posted a great step-by-step guide for TomTom devices. Send me a PM and I will help you out best I can.
putergeek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Garmin GPS Reply with quote

I thought I would just reopen this post since it is dealing with GPS forensics. I have a Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS that was seized from a crime scene and they need the coordinates. Every where I go I find information about TomTom GPS but never any other brands. If anybody has any information on this can they please let me know.
cfinvest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paraben supports various Garmin gps devices. I don't know if it supports the Nuvi, but it's worth a shot.
putergeek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I tried paraben which said it was compatible but had no luck. I was able to image it using EnCase by write blocking the USB port and connecting it that way. It shows up as a device with FAT32 partition. Does anybody know what file any waypoints/locations will be in if saved on the device? I found 2 possible location in a .gpx file.
cfinvest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't surprise me that Paraben said it was supported and then didn't work. I've seen the same thing with cell phones and Paraben. In regards to waypoints, I'm not sure on the Garmin. I actually just bought a Tom Tom Go 930 last night for testing purposes. Have you tried any other software besides EnCase to view the waypoints, etc.? I have found a few different programs out there that "claim" to be gps forensic software. I'm just beginning to test these programs so will be able to provide more in the near future. I don't think it will be long before we start seeing gps devices as often as we do cell phones.
putergeek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas! I agree that gps's are going to be used a lot more frequently in cases. This is my second gps unit that I have had to examine. The first one was a TomTom which seems to be a lot easier. There is a ton of research on them and the waypoints are in the configuration file (also can use an Encase Enscript to find it). This Garmin had me clueless. There is only one file I am seeing which is the gpx file and it only has 2 way points in it. I have not tried any gps forensic utilities yet so let me know how well they work once you test them. Thanks!
PaddyKey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would also be intereseted, I am a 3rd year uni student (computer forensics) whose project is based on the retreval of information from a Garmin GPS. If I find any information I will post it.
cfinvest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have found that most of the information you will retrieve is from the gpx files (Garmin). I purchased a Garmin Nuvi - capable of bluetooth connections and paired two phones. The bad news is I was unable to retrieve any data from the Garmin that referenced dialed calls, received calls, etc. From what I have found, the TomTom stores a lot more information in regards to the bluetooth. One plus with the Garmin however, is it appears as though it produces times along with the coordinates in the gpx files. Something the TomTom does not do. I still have some more research to do on this front but will update as I find out more information
PaddyKey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be checking with FTK 1.8 at a later date.
cfinvest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if you can pull the speed from a gps device? This was one of the things I wanted to test and so far I have not found anything concrete. Just wondering if anybody had any input or if they have tested it.
LarryEDaniel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try GPSforensics dot org
red1one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Garmin GPS Reply with quote

PaddyKey wrote:
I too would also be intereseted, I am a 3rd year uni student (computer forensics) whose project is based on the retreval of information from a Garmin GPS. If I find any information I will post it.

Hey there,

Have you made any possible progress regarding the Garmin?

I am very interested in doing this myself too.

Thx
PaddyKey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have just finished the research stage and I will begin the physical extraction soon. I have found a paper in a journal that gives the Garmin codes so you can understand the .gpx format.
cfinvest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide the link to the whitepaper regarding the Garmin codes?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Technical Issues: Peripherals All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: